Friday, May 7, 2010

Happy Mother's Day



~Stop making that face!!! If the wind changes it'll stay that way.

~Don't swallow your gum; your belly will stick together.

~Close that door! Were you born in a barn?

~Don't put that in your mouth; you don't know where it's been

~If you don't stop crying, I am going to give you something to cry about!
!

Ha! Remembering all the silly little things our Mom's said to us, and things we have said to our own children, is certain to bring a smile to our faces. But at the end of the day, motherhood is probably the toughest, most demanding job there is!!

"She cooks, she cleans, she comforts, she corrects. She has six pairs of hands and eyes in the back of her head. She's a Mother!"

Throughout the years, I have questioned myself as a mother, many times. Was I too strict? Was I strict enough? I wanted to be perfect in the eyes of my daughters, but yet I wanted them to understand that as human beings we all make mistakes. I wanted them to be fearless of me, yet fearful enough should they break house rules. I wanted to achieve the perfect balance?

But no matter how confident we are as individuals, or in our careers, we continually second-guess ourselves as mothers. Tough and tender, wise and warm, a mother must be all things to her family ... at all times. It's an important job! No one has more influence than a mother. For better or worse, she will forever impact the life of her child.

"Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible." ~Marion C. Garretty

Becoming June Cleaver, complete with lace apron and pearls - singing lullabies, baking brownies, and kissing away tears would be wonderful. But the truth is, most of us are far less perfect than that. I know I sure was! Yet, when I look at the beautiful young women my little girls have become, I realize I must have done something right. They have grown into well adjusted, smart young women. They understand that love is not about perfection. It's about imperfection. It's about loving each other despite the flaws. It's easy to love each other during the good times. It's through the tough times that love shows it's real strength. And boy oh boy do we have love!! What a blessed life we live!!

"Being a mother is one of the highest salaried jobs, since the payment is pure love."

For all you imperfect women, who were lucky enough to stumble their way into this most wonderful of callings. . . that of being a Mother, Happy Mother's Day!! I hope today surrounds ALL of you with the unconditional love of your family - the most precious gift there is. xx

8 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

That was beautiful but you forgot "hey, don't scratch that!". Happy Mother's Day to Moms everywhere!

Catherine said...

Some beautiful Mother's Day thoughts you have listed Connie! Sadly we usually end up saying the same things our mother's used to ~ ha ha! My favorite is when you hated as a child having your mother lick her finger and wipe your face...yup...I did that to Kurtis when he was little a few times ~ too funny!

Hope you have a wonderful day Connie!
xo Catherine

Micaela said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU! a beautiful mom inside and out :)

xoxo

Lisa said...

Happy Mother's Day Connie.
I am blessed to have you in my life.

Hugs,
Lisa

Jacqueline said...

Happy Mother's Day Connie.

S. Etole said...

I almost missed this ... hope your day was wonderful.

bethany said...

Happy Mother's day, Connie (although it's belated)!

Such a beautiful sentiment that you expressed...one that most everyone who has been "mothered" can relate to...mothers in all forms--both biological and otherwise--are complete blessings. :)

Erin {pughs' news} said...

My Mother's Day was lovely. Thanks for this wonderful post!